“No One Should Die Because They Can’t Afford Health Care”

September 4th, 2009

For many people (and yes I’m jumping to conclusions and making sweeping generalizations here) “No one should die because they can’t afford health care” is the weasel way of saying “I want someone else to pay for it” without sounding like a panhandler. So, take what follows with a grain of salt, OK?

On that note, someone’s Facebook status said:

No one should die because they cannot afford health care, and no one should go broke because they get sick. If you agree, please post this as your status for the rest of the day.

No one should die just because they were born in sub-Saharan Africa, either. But they do. Doesn’t make it fair, but it happens. For every “poor” or underprivileged Westerner complaining about their lack of “health care” (NB: even the poorest Americans have access to better health care than, I would venture to guess, 85% of the earth’s population has ever had), there are a million people living on $1 and a cup of rice each day — so cry me a fucking river.

Every one of us will die at the crossroads of some particular circumstances, time, and place.

Some of us die in our sleep.  Some of us are merely in “the wrong place at the wrong time.” Some of us will die because the technology to cure what ails us has not yet been invented. Some of us will die because we made poor choices that presently impact our ability to care for ourselves. And some of us will die unfortunately through no direct fault of our own, because we can’t afford to pay for the technology that does exist.

To lament the fact that some people die under seemingly inopportune circumstances is folly; it ignores the lion’s share of the equation. Financial circumstances are a scapegoat, because at nearly any time and place where the individual isn’t DOA, a change in financial circumstances might forestall death for a few hours, days, weeks, or months.

You’ll get no arguments from me, if you say that “health care is too expensive”: blame the AMA cartel, the FDA, blame “Big Insurance”, etc. But National Healthcare is healthcare fascism, the insurers want guaranteed profits, guaranteed customers for life, and Uncle Sam to pay the bills. They want to sell you your own welfare.

You’ll get no arguments from me, if you say that “the system” needs to be reformed: specifically it needs to not be a system at all. People aren’t permitted under the law to care for themselves or to arrange for the care of others. Or because the consumer is not the customer, and the customer enjoys certain tax privileges that the consumer does not, etc. Or because people have been conditioned to believe that “insurance” should pay for an annual check-up and dental exams and all sorts of other routine maintenance instead of just providing for accidents and serious illnesses.

The problem is that health care, medicine, long term care, etc., is damned expensive. Government is the problem in health care, which keeps it unaffordable.

Asking or forcing others to pay the costs which you can’t afford will do nothing to actually solve that problem, it just shifts the burden, fucking up someone else’s life circumstances, exacerbating the problem for the future.

Comments

• EricTheRed says on: September 4, 2009 at 5:00 pm

After seeing dozens of FB friends with that message, I made this my status: "No one should die because of rationing, shortage of drugs, doctors, or hospital beds, or because unelected government bureaucrats deem them a financial drain on the System. And no one should go broke because of politicians' false promises that government can run health care more cheaply, efficiently, and humanely than the private sector. If you agree, please post this as your status for the rest of the day."

• nothirdsolution says on: September 4, 2009 at 5:38 pm

I reposted that on my FB. Cool.

• Aron says on: September 6, 2009 at 4:51 pm

Eric, thanks for this. Where do we have to go to get a two-sided discussion going in this country?

I took the liberty of shortening it to fit, and it has been reposted by several of my friends:
      No one should die because unelected government bureaucrats deem them a drain on the System. And no one should go broke because of politicians' false promises to run health care more cheaply and humanely than the private sector. If you agree, please post this as your status for the rest of the day.

• Brian says on: September 4, 2009 at 10:01 pm

What do you think about this one?

"No one can afford to get sick, because they will die under the proposed National Healthcare."

• nothirdsolution says on: September 5, 2009 at 3:07 am

and their deaths will be blamed on whatever sliver of a "free" market remains…

• revpolitics says on: September 4, 2009 at 11:34 pm

Why don't just the politicians ask the European or the Canadians how is the health care working out for them? when the 30%+ tax missing from they paycheck and they still have to wait hours and hours in the waiting room. The patients get dragged around and around from one specialist to another specials. The doctors taking long lunches in the mean time, they don't care they still making the same money…

• RICH MOTHERFUCKER says on: September 5, 2009 at 2:48 am

you conservative fucks need to get your heads bashed in YOU HEARTLESS FUCKING ANIMALS. EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO FREE HEALTHCARE! LETS CUT THE OTHER FUCKING WELLFARE SPENDING AND PORK IN WASHINGTON. THIS ARTICLE WAS WRITTEN BY THE INSURANCE COMPANIES. OPEN YOUR FUCKING EYES!! EVEN PEOPLE WITH INSURANCE ARE BEING TOSSED OUT AND CLAIMS BEING DENIED BY THESE CHERRY PICKING FUCKS ALL FOR PROFIT! QUESS WHAT YOUR TIME IS UP MOTHERFUCKERS! NATIONAL HEALTCARE BABY SO PONY UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• ZJS says on: September 5, 2009 at 3:09 am

So wrong on so many levels.

• Bronko says on: September 5, 2009 at 3:21 am

Hey "RICH MOTHERFUCKER" not Everyone is entitled to free health care. Only the people who produce, work and pay for it. A free parasites are not entitle for leaving on others taxes. Health care is not free, nothing is free. Only in the leftist dream world thinks just appear from air. The system is broken but because of the government intervention in the first place. Government should fuck off from free enterprise.

• RICH MOTHERFUCKER says on: September 5, 2009 at 4:41 am

BRONKO, LET ME GET THIS RIGHT YOUR TAX DOLLARS THAT ARE SPENT ON WARS, BANKERS BONUSES, WALLSTREET, FOREIGN AID DOESNT BOTHER YOU, BUT SINGLE PAYER DOMESTIC SPENDING MAKES YOU SICK. WHERE ARE YOUR MORALS? BANKERS AND WALLSTREET WERE PRODUCERS. WHAT DO YOU CALL THEM KNOW?

WE LIVE IN THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD! LETS ACT LIKE IT AND TAKE CARE OF OUR OWN

• nothirdsolution says on: September 5, 2009 at 1:53 pm

another pro-state troll. charming. and in case you didn't notice, your Caps Lock key looks like it's stuck.

I will say it again: Just because I don't mention bankers and wall street (in an article that has nothing to do with either!) doesn't mean they get a free pass. You sound like an idiot, because five-seconds on google or using the search box on the right of this blog would've shut you right up. But, like all internet trolls, you spew your ALL CAPS RANTS without doing any background searches.

Where are my morals? I'm not the one trying to force everyone at gunpoint to go along with my ideas. If you think I have even one iota of concern for people like you, you're sadly mistaken.

• Wolverine says on: December 30, 2010 at 7:55 pm

I agree with parts of your article Nothirdsolution but your bashing of the RichM…. made me post to this. You are schooling one person on searching the internet but apparently it didnt work so well for you because the 85% stats that you put in there are not accurate. Most countries do not have the level of the healthcare we provide for our citizens but the context of this article was basic healthcare and the fact that no one should die because the lack of it. A lot of countries, including third world countries have at least the basic healthcare and ER straight, ER in most countries doesnt mean to sit in the hall for two hours after paying for the highest level of insurance (personal experience).

I don’t believe in hand offs either and agree with you that everyone should take personal responsibility for their own welfare but I also believe that if my tax money is spent on wall street rescue, war that more than half the country does not support etc — we might as well start taking care of our people.

• David Z says on: January 3, 2011 at 3:03 pm

If they stop spending tax money on wars and wall street bailouts I’d be a lot more forgiving if they spent a portion of that money on something like health care, instead. However that doesn’t change the fundamental economics at play: when you subsidize bad behavior (i.e., removing personal responsibility for one’s own health) you get more bad behavior. The problem is that health care, medicine, long term care, etc., is damned expensive. Government is the problem in health care which is one of the most regulated industries (aside from banking – another monopoly), which keeps it unaffordable for most of us.

• Bronko says on: September 5, 2009 at 3:21 pm

We are on the right track to destroy the greatest country with Marxism, like we didn't learn from history. I don't agree with the wars. Yes we could invest that money better ways. The all principal of teaching people to relay on the government help is wrong. This breads a new parasite generation who will not going to be able to stand on they own feet without government help. We need to see the lazy part if society be poor to encourage the productive to be more productive. The ideology of everybody should be taken care of will backfire in the long run. Lazy should be poor the productive should be reach. The free market is not perfect but is the far the best system from all. But you have to educate your self on the dynamics of the market and social reactions to market before you will understand this thinks. Can you see the same people who supporting thous bankers and the wallstreet oligarchy are the same people who want to shovel the single payer system down on your throat. Why don't you just ask the Europeans or the Canadians how is they single payer system working out for them when 30% of the money missing from they paycheck and they still have to wait hours and hours in the waiting room to be served by the doctor. The system will creat shortage of doctors. I grew up in EU I experience with the system, thanks no I don't want it.

• nothirdsolution says on: September 5, 2009 at 1:56 pm

THIS ARTICLE WAS WRITTEN BY THE INSURANCE COMPANIES.

LOLZ. Like the times that I chastise the insurance companies that support national health care in order to extract monopoly rents from the rest of us?

Go back under your bridge, Troll.

• Don says on: September 5, 2009 at 6:58 pm

If YOU want it, pay for it, simple.

When you bought them spiffy shoes you're wearing at Walmart you didn't expect other people to pay for them did you?

All the gov't pork should be cut 100%.

• nothirdsolution says on: September 6, 2009 at 5:36 pm

I'm not the one suggesting that anyone should get his head "bashed in". One of us is (without a doubt) a "heartless fucking animal". It's not me.

• dogismyth says on: September 5, 2009 at 3:09 am

I'll tell you what.

You stop the trillions of dollars that are spent causing and fighting wars, the billions sent out as foreign aid (government bribes) especially Israel, the trillions to insolvent banks that have mismanged their affairs, the billions spent on coverups, the billions/trillions paid in interest to the federal reserve for doing what Congress/the people could do…

and then explain to me why we would not have enough money to provide the finest medical care for every goddamn citizen in this fucked up country.

• nothirdsolution says on: September 5, 2009 at 1:48 pm

It's like a broken record with all of you! "OH noez! He doesn't say anything about the banks therefore he's wrong…" Use the Search box in the right of this blog and query "banks" or "bailout". Just because I don't mention the evil banks in every post does not mean that they get a free pass.

Try again, troll.

• BioTube says on: September 5, 2009 at 2:18 pm

The vast majority of that money is obtained through borrowing and the printing press; besides, the bailouts pale in comparison to the $90 trillion in unfunded liabilities for Medicare and Social Security(IIRC, both will stop funding themselves in the next decade; the trustfund is merely government IOUs). If "we" can't even afford crappy care for baby boomers(have you seen how much Medicaid underpays for treatments?), how can "we" afford first-class care for everybody?

• Tony Soldo says on: September 5, 2009 at 4:24 am

We are missing the obvious. The left scream for government run health care, and the right scream tht the USA is going to become a socialist nation, and the real truth is that this health care debate and program is a preplanned charade by both the Democrats and the Republicans in Congress.
    It is a big production, like a Broadway play or Hollywood movie. This is not a socialist or communist conspiracy, this is a capitalist conspiracy.
    Just like the one and a half trillion dollar bank bailout, and the trillion dollar Iraq-Afghan occupation, and the five billion dollar auto bailout, the three trillion dollar health care plan will benefit the corporate criminals on Wall Street. Follow the money. Don't be distracted by the town hall meetings, that is all an act to divide the people, and distract them from the reality of the capitalist scam, of enriching the powerful corporations who will make trillions of dollars if this plan goes through.
    From the insurance companies, to the pharmaceutical companies, and all other medical care companies, that will benefit from the government stealing more of the people's money, and handing it over to the rich.
    The real enemy is not some poor sick human, in need of health care, the real enemy is all of the rich capitalist pigs on Wall Street, an din Washington DC, who are running this scam against the people.
    Fight back by uniting with each other , left and right, against the rich powerful men who are driving this nation over the cliff with their greed.

• guest says on: September 5, 2009 at 6:05 pm

I don't think I could have said it better myself. Saying that no one should die because they can't afford "health care" is like saying that no one should die of any circumstance. Fact is, life isn't fair. We all die of something. I'm not saying that out of disdain for those who can't afford this so called "health care", I'm merely saying that it's like anything else: if you want to stay healthy, eat healthy, exercise, keep your stress down, live, love, enjoy life, and when it's all over, die peacefully knowing that you did something with your time here. This life goes by in a flash. Let's not spend it stealing other people's money to pay big pharma and government for their "services".

• Anton Sherwood says on: September 6, 2009 at 6:32 am

My response to the Facebook meme was: "Anton Sherwood thinks it's a damn shame that people die or go broke because politicians have made treatment so much more costly than it would otherwise be, and would like to know what the mainstream reformists are doing about identifying and repealing past legislation that has contributed to the problem."

• nothirdsolution says on: September 6, 2009 at 1:12 pm

spot on, Anton. Until the problem of cost is solved, it won't matter who's paying the bills.

• Richard says on: September 6, 2009 at 11:07 pm

I had a conversation concerning this just before reading your post. I thought people would enjoy looking into the minds of others, so I posted it in full.

OTHER: No one should die because they cannot afford health care, and no one should go broke because they get sick. If you agree, please post this as your status for the rest of the day

ME: Sounds good, have a solution?

OTHER: Privatizing something like health care can’t work – it didn’t work of mental health services. The driving force cannot be profit – when that happens it becomes immoral. As much as you won’t like to read this – it’s got to be socialized in some form to keep from being ruled by economics. Complete socialism – no, but there has to be some system in place to keep profit from being the goal.

ME: Why would I not like to read that? I respect your opinions and encourage you to support your ideals. Since you brought morality to the table, I would like to speak of it. I currently support my family, my church with >10% of my income (seeing as they’re multi-faceted within the community), family outside the US and other opportunities as they arise. I’m a blessed person who actively partakes in helping others. I assume the same of you. My question is how is it moral to use a ballot box to forcefully take yet another portion of my paycheck to support someone else’s idealistic solution (setting aside for now its benevolence and efficiency)? If you personally demanded a percentage of my income for any reason through implied force, I would rightly oppose you. If you joined with a group your friends and repeated your demand, I would continue to stand in opposition. But if a group of people under a banner called government demands it (we voted!), shall it then be considered moral and proper?

ME: I write not to speak of politics or even of economics. I simply desire to focus on supporting system(s) where everyone is treated fairly and with dignity, through being able to provide what is needed to everyone and by avoiding the looting of others under the guise of being helpful.

I also hope others will provide their respectful insights.

OTHER: It’s my view that you cannot talk about this issue without bringing politics, and economics into the picture. Your main argument is based on economics; money you feel will be stolen from you and given to someone else (that someone being the government and any social programs they run). I live in a social system that is run by a federal government – while not perfect and definitely in need of oversight – but none-the-less a government that I would not want to see dismantled. I applaud you for the contributions to your community – and it appears yours is a very spiritual one. What about those in your community who are not part of your church? Those who are separate for one reason or another? Whose community do they belong to and who will care for them. I know you are blessed – as am I; and in many ways very privileged. I find it hard to justify to myself not contributing to the wellness of the society in its totality when I myself have benefited so much from it.

ME: Bad wording on my part: I meant I wasn’t trying to debate the economic/political reasons for the current state of health care. I share your concern about people that are viewed as outside the community and therefore may not be approached with assistance. Do you agree that a solution would be to expand those communities, whose very foundations are the willful and peaceful desire to be a provision for others, and to avoid forcefully taking from one to give to another? When you said “I find it hard to justify to myself not contributing to the wellness of the society in its totality”, are you speaking of voting to force others to perform as you see fit?

PS – I don’t believe you answered my original question.

OTHER: We view taxes from very different perspectives. I don’t view it as being forcefully looted. I view it as every citizen’s responsibility and contribution to the society we live in. While my answer to your question is yes – the way your question is worded forces me into a double bind. While this is a very effective way to argue a point, it does not allow for the true message of my view to be expressed. We live in a social system that requires of it’s citizens contributions. Does this mean my contribution may be used for services I do not necessarily agree with or use – yes. But this is the price of living in a world that provides what I cannot – for myself and for others. I know you care deeply about your community – I genuinely know this. But, I am puzzled by your description of being taxed. The violence you attribute to a necessary part of our society forces me to semantically agree to you being robbed – which is not the reality from my perspective. So, across the fence we stare…

ME: Thanks for answering. Others often agree with you saying ‘yes, I see how it’s theft as people are forcefully taking without asking, but good things can be done if we do it to enough people, regardless of whether it hinders their already successful efforts’. I get this a lot and I too remain puzzled as I never get an answer on where demanding a portion of someone’s income transforms from an immoral act that society’s members go to jail for to a moral one to be revered when done by those in government. I’ve been an example that people willingly contribute to those in need, but I believe we “live in a social system that requires of it’s citizens contributions” only because voting for others to submit to personal preferences on how to solve a problem continues to remain alluring and convenient.

So, any ideas on how to expand those charitable communities? Do you believe government will make them obsolete since they’ll have a pool of more of our money and use it the best way possible?